Monday, April 22, 2013

Blog Post #14

Teacher knows if you've done the E-reading.
This article was mainly about investigation of whether students are doing the reading and how it affects their grades. The data collected will eventually be used to write new textbooks. The argument is that the data collected, could be manipulated by sneaky students, making it look like they are doing more reading then they actually are. The program,which called CourseSmart not only tracks what the student is doing, but it also affects what material the teacher will present and how he/she will present it. It was found that some students were doing fine on quizzes and test, even though they were not doing as much reading as deemed necessary.
As a Teacher.... 
This might be a useful tool to have in the classroom. Any good teacher knows that not all students learn the same. Just because students are not reading does not mean they are not learning the material. I think it would be a useful tool for me, only because it could help me figure out how to present the material effectively to my students. At least that is what it is claiming it can do. For me to really have an opinion on it I would have to use it first hand.
As a Student....
If I was a student I think knowing they were looking at how often I was opening my book and turning pages, would be a little intimidating. It might cause me to read more, or it might just cause me to open my book more. I might be a student that learns better by watching videos, by visiting a museum, or hearing a lecture. I might be a student who does not comprehend what I read therefor making me feel a textbook as useless.
Questions for the teacher...
My main question for the teacher is How well do you know your students? I am not meaning to repeat myself, but all students learn differently. Your students may comprehend a diagram on the board, much better then reading about it in a book. Some students are visual learners. That is another reason why the internet sources and technology are so important to have in the classroom . We are going to be able to reach out and help students in ways that we have never been able to before.
Questions for the students....
One thing I would have to know is does the student have an IEP(Individualized Education Program), or did they have one in high school.(if I were teaching in college) I would come up with some surveys to try to figure out which learning style worked for them as individuals. As I have already said to be good effective teachers we have to know our students. If you are not going to get to know your students, you should probably not be teaching.
My comments on the article....
My comments would pretty much be what I wrote in the section for what I would ask the teacher. I also have to wonder why on the college level? Why are we monitoring how much the student is reading? Especially when they are considered to be adults at this point of their lives.I could almost understand doing this in middle school and high school. Monitoring the students reading in college seems a bit ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment