Sunday, April 14, 2013

Blog Post #12 Secondary Education/Social Studies

Your assignment is to pick two people that are an inspiration to you. Make one of them a person who you know today, and the other, someone you have studied about in history. Be sure to post a picture and tell why, or how they are an inspiration to you.

Clara Barton was a teacher. After a man was hired to run a school she had established, she went to work as a clerk for the U.S. Patent office.During the Civil War she was known as the Angel of the Battlefield. She was able to obtain camp and hospital supplies, while working on the front lines caring for injured soldiers. She was brave and tireless in her efforts. She convinced the U.S. to sign the Treaty of Geneva, which lead to the establishment of the Red Cross in the United States. She was president of the Red Cross for twenty-two years. She lived her life during a time when men were the ones who called the shots. She is an inspiration to me, because she was a strong woman who made it her business to help others, despite what people thought. Prior to my decision to become a teacher, I wanted to be a Social Worker. More than anything Clara Barton was a humanitarian. The spirit of helping others is still in me, which is why I plan to pursue my Master's Degree in School Counseling

My husband is my second person. We are just different enough to fit perfectly together. My husband does not sweat the small stuff and is a glass is half full kind of person. (I am the complete opposite, which is why our marriage works so well) He went back to school in his forties (proof that you are never too old to pursue a career) and received his A&P license and is now an Aviation Mechanic. He is a definite leader, and knows how to get the job done. No matter what it is, whether it be putting an airplane back together, taking care of out children, doing housework, and or yard work, he gives his all and does his best. I strive to be like him, but I fall very short most, if not all the time. He is my hero.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Heather,
    I liked your idea for a post, I think it is a very well thought out and current topic that students would be able to do. Not only would they be learning about the past but it also allows for the students to be able to bring someone from their own lives into the picture as well. I think that it is really cool how your husband went to college in his forties, because my dad has always wanted to go back to school but has never had the courage.
    Good post I enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete