Sunday, March 3, 2013

Blog Post # 7

Randy Pausch's Last Lecture
large key with the word successThere are so many things that I took away from this lecture. It would be difficult to fit them into four paragraphs. I could apply them all to my own life and use them to enrich the lives of my own children and future students. Randy talks about his childhood dreams. He tells how they came to be reality, even though some were altered slightly. He talks about the importance of enabling others dreams and life lessons he learned.
This lecture was a little over an hour long and by the time it was over I had several pages of notes. I tried to include my favorite things that he said, although there are many that I did not include. i His lecture made me look hard at myself and what I have accomplished in my own life. Here are a few words of advice from him, which should help anyone. Have Fun. You have to decide if you are going to live your life as a Tigger, or an Eeyore. Never lose your child like wonder. I could picture these three and many others posted in my classroom for my students.
Some of his advice I really took to heart and it made me think about what my future students may need to hear from me. I know, if as a child I needed to hear it, my students do too. I will have students are looking to me for advice and encouragement, because they do not get it at home. Some of the advice I would use from this lecture is: Brick walls are there to let us prove how badly we want things; Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want; There are moments that change your life, and the most important thing is to be able to identify them when they are happening; If you do something that is pioneering, expect the arrows in the back.
I really could go on and on about this lecture. He was truly a gifted unique individual. I hope I can teach my students to learn self reflection, to respect authority without questioning it, never give up, and to focus on others and not themselves. The most important advice I took away from this lecture was "Live your life and when you do the right thing good things will happen.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Heather!!
    I really like your thoughts on Pausch's last lecture. In the beginning you said you could really apply this to your life and your kids but you never really said how. I was really interested in how you would. But very good post!
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete