Sunday, February 24, 2013

Blog Post #6

color coded people connected together by a lined shapeThe Networked Student
The Networked Student is a self starter motivated by his need to learn without the boundaries of a traditional classroom. Rather then sitting through a lecture, the student is using the internet to explore, communicate, and validate factual information. The teacher in the classroom acts as a filter to guide students, so they can learn to research and verify that the information is true and correct. Students learn to communicate with other students, teachers, top professors, and other professionals. This is a skill that will follow them out of the classroom and into the professional world.
I was born in the 1970's and feel like I am at such a disadvantage compared to young students.Most of what I watched in the movie is completely foreign to me. This is the reason I have struggled to write papers in college. In the middle of my life we went from using encyclopedias, textbooks and the card catalog in the library, to using the internet for our research. As an older student, I am still learning how to validate information that I find on the internet.
These skills will be second nature to young students. As educators, we must remember young children are like sponges. They soak up knowledge so easily. Once taught these skills, they will never forget them. They will easily continue to add to what they know as technology changes. It is vitally important that we teach them (and ourselves) to utilize everything that is available, so they can go out into the world feeling prepared and confident.

Welcome to my PlE (Personal Learning Environment)
This video just proves "The Networked Student" way of teaching is working. This students organizational skills are phenomenal. I really like how she has to do research on the animals in the classroom, before she can interact with them. She should be very proud that she is able to have a scientist review her work. That is truly an opportunity of a lifetime. When I was her age, we were just lucky to have a teacher reviewing our work. My PLN is non existent compared to hers. I am sure with time, mine will grow to be as extravagant as hers.

4 comments:

  1. Great post! Also you are absolutely right about it being vital for ourselves and our students to update as the technology does! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment on my blog attheteachersdesk.blogspot.com. I left a reply which I am cross posting here so that I know you can see it:

    Heather, I agree with you. Dr. Strange does expect a lot from you, but that is because he believes that his class is the most important class you will take in the teacher ed program at USA. I really appreciate the fact that you feel comfortable talking about how you are struggling. Learning is struggling and you can use how you feel now to empathize with your students who will feel the exact same way later.

    In regards to Mr. Brookover, he does have the right to his opinion. What he does not have the right to is to being close minded in the classroom. His flippant remarks concerned myself and many others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I added a comment to Mr. Chamberlain's blog as well:
    Thanks everyone for your contributions to this discussion. My response is too long to add here but you can read it all in How the World Helps Me Teach Pre-service Teachers. Read the comments as well. Mr. Chamberlain adds an important point to my list of what we can learn from this event.

    I am preparing a post which will probably be entitled Facts, Opinions, Beliefs and No Recess. It will be a mandatory assignment. Watch for it. Coming soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "As an older student, I am still learning how to validate information that I find on the internet." So are your younger classmates!

    Teaching is changing far faster that even I imagined. Ever right here in Alabama. It is happening right now - in Baldwin County. Baldwin County is now ephasizing the use of challenge based, project-based and problem-based learning strategies at all grade levels. These efforts are similar to the networked student's approach to learning except the approaches vary according to grade.The most advanced school is Gulf Shores Elementary but a new training project called the Digital Renaissance Leadership Academy started Monday (2/25/13) in Baldwin County. All teachers will be trained to be Baldwin County's equivalent of a networked teacher. There are almost 300 in the first year long program of DRLA. In all grades. It will be exciting to watch it happen. So get ready. You will have to be a networked teacher if you want to teach in Baldwin County.

    ReplyDelete